Bigger is better!

Friday, March 21, 2008

I Love People!

The other day I had the privelege of doing a beautiful woman named Eileen's hair. I was a little bitter because she had requested someone else and they had not shown up for school. She came in and found out that I would be doing her hair instead and she was perfectly happy. She told me exactly what she wanted and since it was a cut that I do often I assured her that it would be a piece of cake and that she would leave even more beautiful then she came. She revealed that she was LDS and so conversation went smoothly. I told her a little about my mission and then I told her about the notes we write in Relief Society and how it is my goal to write two notes a week. She then told me about her three children and three grandchildren. What really touched me is how she spoke of her youngest son. You see he was born with severe brain damage and has the mentality of a ten month old. She was just one of those glowing individuals who makes you want to be a better person. She serves on a board of a foundation at a hospital that her son frequents due to his condition while taking care of her son at the same time. She had no complaints just positive things to say about the special spirit that had been sent to her. Two days later she came back just to give me a note and a little book about her son. The note read: Miss Leah, I just wanted you to know that I love my new haircut. You rock! Keep smiling those dimples are beauttiful.
Through my tears I read the little book she gave me that was entitled Scot Christensen's Dreams it reads:

I was sleeping peacefully and happily one summer afternoon as my mother sat crying, yet again about my plight. Born severely brain damaged, I would remain throughout my lfe, mentally an infant and physically disabled.
My giggling interrupted her tears and drew her to my bed. Finding me smiling as I slept, she stood and gazed in amazement for the longest time, her love filling the room and spilling all over me.
Softly, she asked me, "what are you dreaming about, Scotty? How are you so happy when you don't get to do all the things other kids do? Where are your dreams taking you?"


This was my answer....
In the freedom of my dreams I can run free with the breeze, I can ride the fastest bikes, I can climb the tallest trees.
When I giggle in my sleep it's because I'm not confined, through sleep's sweet brief escape I leave my wheelchair behind.
As I jump over rainbows I reach out to touch the sky, I play among te angels while I teach them how to fly.
In the freedom of my dreams there is nothing I can't do, I can walk and talk, laugh , and sing, and dance a little too!
Right now I'm being patient for sometime this all will take, but I know someday I'll have these dreams while I'm wide awake.
So as you can see I found this sweet and inspiring. This is the kind of thing that helps me get up in the morning. All I did was give this woman a haircut and she felt inspired to share this with me. I can truly say that my life is blessed and it is my hope that I will one day be able to inspire others as this boy and his mother have me.

7 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet, wonderful lady.

March 21, 2008 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

I would have to agree.

March 21, 2008 at 10:17 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I wish you knew the effect that you have on people, Leah. Everyone who has ever met you wants to be your friend. I feel honored to know you and be your friend. Love ya.

March 22, 2008 at 3:41 AM  
Blogger gigi said...

People come and go in our lives for special reasons. I think that you are a positive infulence on lots of people. I think that you have found the perfect job that will help you to touch even more lives. Love ya...

March 22, 2008 at 7:36 AM  
Blogger echoeve said...

This was wonderful.
I love a good cry

March 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I have to say she probably wouldn't have done that for just anyone, you are special! She knew it after spending just a little time with you.

March 25, 2008 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger angieripley said...

leah, I loved your comments about your family. I appreciated the story from the mother of the sweet boy who dreams. Thanks for being an example to me. Thanks for being happy and touching so many people. you have definitely touched me today.
I am going to Georgia tomorrow with Andrew. Are you going to be there. My heart is so heavy for Pat and Farrell. I can't imagine what they are feeling. i am so thankful for the plan of happiness. I am so grateful to know that they will see Laura again. Love ya, Aunt Angie p.S. Be careful!

March 25, 2008 at 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home